Topic: The Agenda for Fall Semester
(Asterisks indicate attendees that have agreed to complete tasks by the next meeting)
2:35-2:45 Old Business
2:35-2:45 Overview of Last Year's EGSO Events
-Joel Sodano gave an overview of last year's EGSO events and discussed the EGSO's efforts to publish a selection of last year's conference papers through eTopia, an online platform for the publication of edited collections of conference presentations in the area of cultural studies which is run by Topia a Canadian journal of cultural studies.
-For those interested in finding out more about last year's conference, visit http://egsoalbany.wordpress.com
-Chris Jacques volunteered to take over Natalie Knight's responsibility of transferring the information from the conference's Wordpress blog site to the English Department web page.
2:45-3:00 Tentative Outline for 2010-2011
-Joel Sodano described the events that the EGSO is planning to sponsor between now and May 2011 which include: 2nd Annual Coat Drive, 9th Annual Graduate Student Conference, and a Summer Retreat to be held at Dippikill in the Adirondacks.
-Chris Jacques emphasized that the EGSO could do more if there were sufficient interest and volunteerism among the group.
3:05-3:45 New Business
3:00-3:05 Discussed Collaboration with the Americanist Group
-Joel Sodano informed those in attendance that Josh Bartlett would attend the next EGSO meeting to encourage participation in the group and to discuss the possibility of an Americanist symposium which the group would like to sponsor in Spring 2011.
3:05-3:15 Job Description and Nomination of Communications Director
-Joel Sodano described the duties of a newly created officer position entitled “Communications Director:” monitor ENGRAD and also serve as the English department's Graduate Student
Organization Representative. Sara Alotaibi volunteered to serve as the Communications Director. Michael Amrozowicz volunteered to serve as the Alternate GSO Representative.
-Joel Sodano announced that the GSO Assembly was having a meeting that day @ 4:00pm and that he would accompany the new Communications Director to the meeting.
3:15-3:25 Budgetary Concerns
-Luke Martin agreed to submit a request for the EGSO's annual funding by September 27th.
-Luke Martin agreed to apply for additional funding for next year's conference through the UAS Program Funds--http://www.albany.edu/uas/program_funds.shtml The deadline to do so is October 1st.
3:25-3:45 Overview of Committees
-Joel Sodano and Chris Jacques described the various responsibilities and objectives of the newly proposed Philanthropy Committee, Conference Committee, Constitution Committee, and Social Committee.
-James Searle suggested that the Philanthropy Committee develop a plan for
reading at homes for the elderly and for donating books to prisoners.
-At the meeting's end, Chris Jacques distributed sign-up sheets for the Philanthropy, Social, Conference, and Constitution committees the distribution of interest for said committees is as follows:
The Social Committee: Luke Martin, Michael Amrozowicz, and Elaina Frella.
The Philanthropy Committee: Kaitlin Albertson, Evan Gromel, Tony Delgado,
Sara Alotaibi, and James Searle
The Conference Committee: Janelle Adsit, Kaitlin Albertson, Evan Gromel,
Sarah Giragosian, Eric Anderson, Matt McGregor, Luke Martin, Amy
Mallory-Kani, and Chris Jacques.
The Constitution Committee: Chris Jacques and Michael Amrozowicz.
******The next EGSO meeting will take place on September 17th at 2:00pm in Humanities Building 354.
Tentative Schedule for EGSO meeting on 9.17.10, 2:00p.m. Humanities 354
- Old business:
- “Turning on Rights” Conference Follow-up
- Where are we with eTopia?
- Where are we with transferring the blog to UAlbany webspace?
- New business
- The Americanist Group
- Josh Bartlett will discuss the Americanist group and plans for a symposium.
- Perhaps set up a liaison between EGSO and the Americanist group.
- Report from the GSO meeting on 9/3/10.
- Sara Alotaibi
- Fall Coat Drive
- Writing Center Involvement
- Who will be in charge of acting as liaison?
- Propose a combination Can / Coat drive to link up with the Writing Center’s already established program.
- Spring 2011 Conference
- Discussion of how proposals are made
- Brief overview of the last three conferences or so.
- Ask for input from attendees who were involved in previous conferences.
- Announce the date of the meeting for suggesting conference topics.
- Fall 2010 Budget
- Luke Martin will present last year’s budget for attendees to review.
- Attendees will suggest amendments for budget to be submitted on September 27th.
- Committees revisited.
- The sign-up sheet will be passed around, and, although no committee is closed, committees will begin investigating meeting times, places, etc..